Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bad Accident!

So yesterday was just a freaked out day. My shoulders were still killing me from Sunday's rollabout in the surf, so I went to the chiro to get everything popped back into place. I had my daughter with me because she just had a terrible cough. We were leaving the chiro and going to meet one of my workers at the job when the car in front of me drifted into oncoming traffic and kaplowy! There were cars flying everywhere! I slammed on my brakes with every last bit of strength, braced the steering wheel for impact. Luckily all we caught was a headlight rolling under the truck.I immediately told my bubs to stay put & jumped out of the car & called 911.

I was so freaked out I had a really hard time telling dispatch where in the heck I was. Finally I pulled myself together and figured out where I was. I checked all 4 cars to see who was hurt. One car turned out to be parked, one vehicle the driver was pinned inside and couldn't get out, but he was awake and talking, another guy was ok and just dazed and lastly was this young woman in a green ford. When I first came up to her, she was unconscious. She had not been wearing her seatbelt and even though the airbag deployed, her head went thru the windshield. Her head was bleeding and her knee was badly cut.

After figuring out she was the worst and checking on my bubs, I went back to her to see if I could get her awake. I managed to get her to open her eyes a little and she spoke very softly. I couldn't understand her too well. I told her she was in a car accident and that help was coming very quickly. She asked my to please not leave her. I told her I wouldn't go anywhere until the paramedics arrived. I tried to open her door, but it was completely jammed. I got the passenger side open and tried to find a cell phone or something. I got the radio to turn off so at least I could hear her a little better. I asked her if there was anyone I could call for her before help arrived. I managed to get a # out of her, but I still didn't know her name or who I was calling. Of course I got an answering machine and I left this really cryptic frantic message about someone being badly hurt in a green ford and they gave me this number. Within a couple minutes they called me back. I put the phone on speakerphone and they were only able to exchange a couple words before the sirens were getting loud. I told them the hospital that she was probably gonna be taken too. she was semi-conscious but badly injured. Her eye was all bloodied in the whites, her head was bleeding, but I stopped that with my gym towel (sorry). When help arrived I backed off and let them work. They cut her windshield out and cut the drivers door off. I had already been and unlocked and opened the doors. I figured anything I could do to help in expediting her removal from the car. It was all very emotional. It turns out the woman I called owned the car and at first was a bit upset to hear that her car was completely totaled. When she realized how serious her friend was hurt, I think she stopped worrying about the car. She told me that only 10 minutes prior she was talking to her and the driver was telling her how tired she was and how badly she wanted to sleep. She told that she advised her to pull over and have a rest, but she wanted to press on and just get home. I think she had a long blink and drifted right into another vehicle. Each car was probably doing 40-45 mph so the collision was equivalent to hitting a wall at 80-90mph.
This accident reminds me of the time that I found a guy on the side of the road who was riding a bike in the rain at night and had been hit by a car. I will blog about that at another time, but it brought back those same feelings that I experienced that night7 years ago.

No comments: