Monday, July 28, 2008

Riviera Beach/Singer Island Triathlon

So I had my 3rd ever sprint triathlon today. It was in Riviera Beach. It consisted of a 1/4 mi open water swim in the Atlantic Ocean, a long transition run to the bikes, a 10 mi bike (over a very tall fixed bridge) and a 3 mi run (also over that same darn bridge).

So I got there on time and picked up my packet & chip. Got body marked and brough all my stuff over to transition to set up. I ran into several people that I know through Team In Training (we are like roaches, we're everywhere!). Also so my old tri coach from last season, and the other tri coach from the Jupiter team. There were a few people from my current team there as well, so that helps.

So I set up my stuff and headed down to the ocean for some warm-up swimming. The water was crystal clear, and flat with a gentle roll. I was looking at the bouys thinking that I must be swimming way to much because this course looked aweful short. So after about 15 minutes of warmup, I headed over towards the starting area and noticed there is now an additional big yellow bouy (the other two were big orange one) and one additional small orange buoy. So now I am totally confused and wondering where the heck do we turn in. Then I thought, what am I thinking, like I am gonna be leading the pack, hehe, I will just be following the thundering flailing heard into the water and follow the lead group. So anyways just before the 1st wave goes off, the announcer points out that we are to turn in after passing the yellow buoy and the small orange one is not theres (probably a crab trap or something). So okay that clears up my confusion, but I guess not everyone heard the message, well everyone but one heard the message. The guy that comes to these local races and constantly kicks the crap out of everyone apparently just flew by the yellow buoy and headed towards the trap. The announced was utterly speechless. Turns out this guy swam ?? additional yards to some other buoy and still beat all the guys out of the water and still won overall by a comfortable margin. Can you say... wow?

So on to my swim. So my swim went okay. I am way more comfortable in the water now and I swam the course without stopping. I wish they would stick the freakin matts at the water exit though. It kills me that I finish about middle of the pack and then get passed by all these people running towards transition because I just can't run very well barefoot or just after swimming my butt off. But anywho, the swim was great and it was off to the bike.

So my bike started out reallllly well. I was blowing by all those people that ran past me to transition. I was cooking at over 20 mph for a bit, once we hit the turnaround, I must of been getting tired and a little wind must of been there because I dropped down to around 17-18 mph. Then with 2 miles to go, the dreaded bridge. Aghhh, I hate this bridge. It is right by the port and its fixed so its verrrrrrry tall. Of course they make us go over this at the end of our ride and then stop immediately at the bottom to u-turn and go back over, double aghhhhh. So I suffer over the bridge and I am not happy with what it had done to my awesome average speed, but thats life. So I speed down the other side with about 1/2 mi to transition and I hit 33.3 mph at the bottom, sweeeeeeet! I love speeeeeed.

So I blow into transition, rack the bike, change my shoes and head out to run, or in the case of today, walk. Yes its sadly pathetic, but I walked most of the course. I was tooo spent and it wa already over 90 degrees and the sun was blazing. I was wondering why I even signed up for this agony, then a few fellow slow pokes reminded me... because most other people are still at home in their beds and you are out here getting healthy and trying to improve your life. I love my fellow triathletes, they are truly a very supportive bunch! They are the ones that keep me going. I also saw some of my cycle buddies that had stopped to watch and cheer (thanks guys!).

So now to the crappy numbers :)
1/4 mi swim: 11:44
T1: 4:22
10 mi bike: 35:28 (16.9 mph)
T2: 1:38
3 mi run: 51:35 (cringe)
Total: 1:44

I was 237 of 240 finishers, but I was 3rd in the Athena group (but there was only 3 of us).
I even got a cool little award plaque, now sad is that, hehe.

By contrast, my sprint race in April, the FAU Wellness Triathlon, my times were:
Keep in mind there was no giant bridge at this race, so I guess I have shown improvement if you factor that in.
1/4 mi swim: 13:42
T1: 3:47
10 mi bike: 34:14
T2: 1:44
3 mi run: 52:04 (cringe)
Total: 1:45

At my sprint race 2 weeks ago in Fort Lauderdale, my times were:
3/8 mi swim: 20:34 (50% longer swim and it was over a 1/4 mi run to transition, my swim was only 14 min or so)
T1: 2:56
10 mi bike: 34:07 (17.6 mph, 2/7 in group)
T2: 2:38
3 mi run: 51:52 (cringe)
Total: 1:52

So needless to say, the Chicago Tri should be alot of fun :) my goal is 3:30 or less, sad I know.

1 comment:

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job!! 3rd is 3rd!!! (you're supposed to leave out that part about their being 3 of you...)

And sweet top speed!! WAY TO GO!!