Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Back among the blogging!

Well I haven't been blogging for a while, I blame Facebook :)
So quick catch up... Hurt my low back at the end of April, had to pass on the MS150 ride from Miami to the Keys at the beginning of May. That was such a bummer because we worked so hard to raise the money. Good news is that we are ahead on fund raising for next year. My best friend that was gonna ride with us, happened to hurt her shoulder around the same time, so I guess it worked out. I wouldn't want to ride without her because unlike my husband, she actually rides with me :)
So after months of low back pain, x-rays, an mri, countless visits to chiro and ortho, no one can figure out what was wrong with my back. Both doc's agreed that the MRI of my back looked fantastic "you have the back of a teenager" I was told. Guess thats a good thing, but why was it hurting. It was soooooo annoying, it would be okay all day and then I would lay down at night and get this SUPER SHARP pain if I moved even the slightest amount. Kind of made it hard to sleep. I would go for about 2 days with no sleep, then pass out the 3rd night from lack of sleep. Nothing touched it. I had some painkillers left over from my c-section 4-1/2 years ago and they seemed to help me sleep, but there were not many left. The likely scenario is that my piriformis muscle was going spaz and irritating my sciatic nerve. The chiro also thought my s/i joint was going out of whack too. Luckily that really sharp pain did not persist for more than a week and then I was back to just a lovely dull pain in the ass. I mean it was literally a pain in the ass, right there in the butt check. At times it would be on the left side, then it would shift to right cheek for a few days, then it would shift again. I'm telling you it was weird. No idea what triggered it or why it was suddenly resolved itself, but it has and I am grateful!
So not alot of training has happened this summer. We took a 10 day vacation at the beginning of August and when we got home mid-august, my daughter started back up in pre-school. After one week, she came down with a horrible cold/flu. We were up at Disney for daddy's birthday and she woke at 4am burning up. I mean this kid was on fire! I have never felt her so warm. So being the good mommy I am, I have to go find a 24 hr walgreens to get some Motrin. Motrin broke her fever for a while, but she awoke the next day hurting all over and having a very sore throat. Needless to say, not much of Disney happened :)
So a week later, I come down with it. Starts like a cold, drippy nose, then bang sore throat & 104 fever! I spent 4 days in bed sleeping! I couldn't talk, I had no voice. I couldn't watch TV cause my eyes hurt. I didn't eat, only tried to make myself drink. I had that stupid high fever every night for 4 nights! I would lie in bed with a sweater and long pants on underneath 3 blankets! Yeah that sucked so bad. I sure hope it was the H1N1 flu so I don't have to go thru that again. Doc wasn't sure and didn't bother testing me. Its so widespread down here now. Just told me to stay away from everyone and gave me a variety of medicine to help with my symptoms. Hubby got it a week later and was every bit as miserable.
So the beginning of this month I ventured back into the gym. Started doing some weight training and spin class. Trying to get back to running, since it has been since April! Back isn't bothering my, but what little running stamina I had is gone :( My strength feels like it has returned and I feel better and stronger after every spin class! Hoping to get enough training time in to make a race or 2 in oct/nov. I am hoping to come up for IMFL to volunteer, because I think that would be a blast.
Works been slow but we're surviving. Things actually have been starting to pick up, so I hope thats a sign of things to come!
Ok so that's my quick update.

No comments: